-A A +A A A

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently asked questions

  • Q1. I am presently residing in Oman. I got my passport when I was on my Delhi address. Now I have shifted to Bangalore. Should I change my address in the passport? …. If change is required, what are the documents required and how much time will it take?

    Ans. It is up to you to change the address. It is always better if your passport indicates your current address. For this purpose, you need to fill up application form and submit it along with valid proof of your residential address.

  • Q2. I don't have ECNR stamp in my Passport. Can I get it on the basis of my provisional matriculation or above certificate issued by the University/Board concerned?
    Ans. We are no longer affixing ECNR stamp in passports. In fact it is not even printed in the new passport booklets. Currently, only ECR stamp is being put in passports if applicant is not eligible for ECNR. However, you are entitled to ECNR status if you possess qualification of Matriculation or above. Even you can get ECNR status on the basis of provisional matriculation certificate if the mark sheets of all semesters of your course are available with you. Further to get ECNR stamp, the applicant should have stayed abroad for more than 3 years excluding the period(s) of visit to India or should be a dependent who is below 18 years and whose parents have ECNR status in their passports or should be a person (he/she) whose spouse has ECNR status in his or her passport or should be above 50 years of age

  • Q3. I have downloaded the application form from your website. Can I fill it up & submit?
    Ans. Yes
  • Q4. I got my passport 2 years ago. I got married recently. Should I include my spouse's name in my passport? If so, what is the procedure?

    Ans. It is better to include your spouse's name in your passport. For this, please fill up application Form and submit it along with marriage certificate, photocopy of spouse's passport (if she has one).

  • Q5. I have a one-month-old baby? Does the baby require a separate passport Or his/her name can be endorsed in one of the parents' passport?

    Ans. Endorsement of child's name in parents' passports is not allowed anymore. As per the amended law, minors should have separate passports.
  • Q6.In case of a minor child passport, whose mother is in India and father in Oman, whether father should submit consent to mother to apply for a passport? If so, what is the procedure?

    Ans. Application for minor child can be submitted with Annexure C from the parent present with the child.
  • Q7. What is the difference between Re-issue and Renewal of a passport?

    Ans. Passports are Re-issued after the expiry of their 10-year validity period. If you had been issued a Short Validity Passport (i.e. a passport of validity less than 10 years) apply for renewal to extend the normal validity of the existing passport to 10 years.
  • Q8. My passport expired 5 years ago. Can I renew it? What is the procedure for it?

    Ans. In such a case, you have to fill up Application Form and submit it along with original/photocopy of your expired passport and proof of your residence/address and reason for delay in re -issue. However, since the passport expired 5 years ago, there is an elaborate procedure for re-issue.
  • Q9. What documents are required when there is a change in name on account of Divorce?

    Ans. (i) Divorce deed duly authenticated by Court and (ii) Deed Poll or Sworn Affidavit as per specimen given.
  • Q10. Is it mandatory to submit Birth Certificate in cases of those who are born on or after 26.01.1989?

    Ans. Yes, Birth Certificate issued by Registrar of Births only is acceptable for those born on or after 26.01.1989.
  • Q11. In a case of Muslim passport holder, whether entry of second wife name is allowed on passport.

    Ans. No, you can include only one spouse name in your passport.
  • Q12. Should fees be charged for miscellaneous services when a person applies for them at the same time as he applies for a new passport, either for the first time or on expiry of the previous passport?

    Ans. No additional fee should be charged for various miscellaneous services such as change of name, change of address. ECNR stamp etc. when these services are applied for in conjunction with the application for a new passport. The fee for a new passport is a consolidated fee covering all these services.
  • Q13. What about Police Clearance Certificate (PCC) if it is applied for in conjunction with the application for a new passport? Should the charge for miscellaneous service be levied on this occasion?

    Ans. Yes. Issue of PCC is a distinct miscellaneous service and does not form an integral part of the passport. The service should be applied on application form and the relevant fee should be charged in addition to the fee for issue of fresh passports.
  • Q14. When should the miscellaneous service charge prescribed respectively under items 14 and 12 of Schedule IV to the Passport Rules be charged?

    Ans. Miscellaneous services have been consolidated into those which do or do not require issue of a fresh passport booklet. Any miscellaneous service which requires a fresh booklet to be issued will be charged as per the new booklet charges. This would cover services involving change of entry on the laminated front and back (inner) covers of the passport, like change of name, change of photograph etc. This would also apply when an additional booklet is issued when pages of the old booklet are exhausted.

    All other miscellaneous services on ordinary passports where only an endorsement on the passport is required, will be charged separately as per the prescribed fee.

    EXCEPTION: - In the case of replacement of lost or damaged passport, involving issue of a new passport booklet, the fee will be charged separately
  • Q15. What is the fee to be charged in case of replacement of lost or damaged passport?

    Ans. In case the lost or damaged passport's validity has not expired, the fee for issue of a duplicate passport is RO. 59.050. In case the lost or damaged passport's validity has already finally expired and a fresh passport is issued, the fee to be charged in such cases would be that as prescribed for a fresh passport only.
  • Q16.Can a legal guardian applies for the passport of the minor?

    Ans. A Legal guardian can also be permitted to apply for the passport of a minor child on his furnishing a sworn affidavit supported by another affidavit by two responsible persons who know the legal guardian as well as the minor. However, if the "legal" guardian has been appointed by court order, then this requirement of production of affidavits would not be necessary.